Thursday, December 1, 2016

A Breakdown of the Grievance Process

Property Tax Reduction Consultants
125 Jericho Turnpike, Suite 500 
Jericho, NY 11753
(516) 484-0654 or (631) 484-0654

Apply for Grievance| Assessing your Property Taxes| Long Island, P.T.R.C. Inc.

If you've been living on Long Island for awhile, you're well aware that our property taxes are some of the highest in the entire country. While we live in one of the most beautiful and convenient locations on the planet, there is no reason to pay excessive property taxes. At P.T.R.C. Inc., we understand how the tax grievance process works and we can help you use it to your advantage. Are you interested in saving money on your property taxes? Well, here's how our tax grievance process can help: 

Step 1: The first thing you'll need to do is submit your grievance application to the experts at P.T.R.C. Inc. Within the coming days, you should receive confirmation that we received your application and that you're eligible to file the grievance application. 

Step 2: If you live in Suffolk County, our team would represent you in front of the Board of Assessment Review (BAR). For Nassau County residents, we would represent you in front of the Assessment Review Commission (ARC). 

Step 3: Based on their decision, we will either accept the reduction or proceed to Small Claims Assessment Review (SCAR). This is the only  way to obtain a reduction if we were denied at the board level. But don't worry, we have been very successful here! 

Important Notice: There is a $30 fee to purchase an index number that guarantees your case will be heard. 

Step 4: P.T.R.C. Inc. will purchase the index number and handle all the necessary paperwork to make sure your case is heard. Unfortunately, once your appeal is filed it could take several months for the Supreme Court to schedule a hearing. 

Step 5: We will be fully prepared for the hearing with all the necessary paperwork and a Comparable Market Analysis to help during the appeal process. 

Note: Once we have a successful case, you can receive your compensation in one of two ways: 
  1. The reduction can be reflected on your tax bills in which case you would pay your taxes based on the lower assessed value that was agreed upon. 
  2. The reduction can be reflected in the form of a refund check. Some municipalities will decide to combine these two methods and give you a lower assessed value along with a refund check. It all depends on the case.  

Step 6: Send in your application and get ready for next year's reductions! 

Still have questions about the grievance process and how we can help? To learn more, please visit our website or give us a call at (516) or (631) 484-0654. You can also reach out to us via email at! 

No comments:

Post a Comment